Thursday, March 10, 2016

it's my birthday, i forgot, my dad reminds me. fuck, i think, i can't be that old. mum talks about my birth, we both very nearly died, i was in an incubator for 6 months. it's strange listening to them talk about my birth, mum has the better memory, dad seemed a little vague, he did say i looked like a rat. mum talks about how i was rubbed in olive oil as soon as i was born by her parents. 'as long as you didn't drop me into the frying pan,' i joke.
when i am not working i surf, my time is very limited now as this stupid court case looms and i must prepare. i feel my appeal to top management has made some impact, these people will hate me for it but they have always hated me and to be honest i like it when they hate me. it means i am doing my job well.
it's been the best few weeks weather wise, i like the heat, the sun makes me active and productive. jean and tez have been to the reef and rainforest in queensland, they say they have had their life changed. that's always a good thing and i imagine that if the rainforest and the reef don't change your life then you have not really experienced them. i know my time in far north queensland changed me. i loved the place except the crocs and the fact there are no good surfing beaches that are safe. 
well it is my birthday, usually i do nothing. today i will surf away the day maybe read a little. 
i've just finished saul blacks book 'the killing lessons' which was excellent but saul should have published it under his real name glen duncan whom i have admired as a novelist for many years, even 30 years ago after reading his first novel 'hope' i knew he was going to make it.
i then read 'the whites' by richard price which was an excellent american police novel. after reading all that scandinavian noir a good american novel was refreshing, especially the dialogue parts. 
next up the sexy 'butterfly skin' by serge kuzneteov, if i take a train to work i may be able to finish it sooner than later. sure beats reading affidavits.

No comments: