Thursday, January 28, 2016

i was locked out of my head, it was raining, the clouds were low. i was in a cold climate, the birds were being aggressive, flapping wings, making shrieking noises and swooping in far to close for my liking.
a man with a dog came towards me, some small eastern european cars drove passed, the streets were empty otherwise.
the dog stopped and pissed on the side of the street, the man pulled the lead and the dog moved away reluctantly leaving a splash on a wall. 
i let them pass me, blending into the wall as best i could, i don't think the man noticed me but the dog looked at me curiously as he was dragged away.
across the street was a cafe, it was getting dark and i needed to access my memory, get some information why i was here. i bunched the collar of my jacket around me put my head down and walked across the big road. while i walked i searched through my pockets, some coins and notes, i looked to see the currency, it looked like greek writing, vaguely familiar. 
the cafe was tiny and it was packed with people, there was nowhere to stand let alone sit so i just squeezed through the crowd, i seemed to be sucked in and swallowed up, walking deeper into the cafe i realised it was larger than i originally thought, just narrow as i descended deeper inside to it's bowels.
as i walked in the people were all glamorous and beautiful, dressed in elegant clothes and adorned with jewels but the further inside i walked the more the people began to change appearance, their clothes less sophisticated, they wore costumes and some were naked, a dwarf in a ringmasters suit cracked a whip, some girls in heavy make up laughed and blew kisses as i walked by, smoke filled the room making it difficult to see but i figured i would continue down, deeper inside.
i came to a small table, where a lady in a silk gown seemed to be waiting for me, she gestured for me to join her.
someone in a long black suit brought us a tray of drinks, tea.
the tea pot was ornate, perhaps chinese but quite ancient and decorated with jade and emerald. small matching cups were placed in front of us, and two chinese fortune cookies. the lady nodded and then reached outwards to fill my cup. steam rose and carried with a scent of sweet wild spice that relaxed me and made me think of being in a warm bath, in a marble room.
'the tea will replenish your memory' she whispered.
i smiled and sipped it slowly but not before bringing the cup to the tip of my nose and inhaling the fragrance. the smell unlocked my time in the berlin salt bath. west berlin, a long time ago, i was naked and swimming in a big salt water pool with other berliners. i sipped the tea and remembered i lived in kreuzberg on richenberger strasse, in-between the bar and the church. 
i remembered my years there, it flooded back, der jungle night club where i perfected my one and only dance move the jungle stomp. those crazy nights playing indoor cricket drunk of whisky and stoned on hash, the strange bars i used to frequent, remember the one with sand everywhere. oh my how they flooded back, a tap turned on and even trivial things, a shop that sold coat hangers, ka de ve where i bought my organic indian tea, zoo station, nollendorfplatz and the metro. we used to hang with some strange cats back then. i was a vampyre getting up at dusk and heading to bed at dawn, i remember the cold winter and my quest for the heat but now, where are we now?





2 comments:

Tezza said...

There's a whole book in there about you and MD in Berlin...Tez...xxx

Tezza said...

What I meant was...just as Christopher Isherwood
documented pre WW2 war germany...
you could document the pre-Berlin wall era
and all that crazy anarchism
and club culture before the wall went down..It's gone forever
now.. it was a moment in history, you were there man..
....T :)