Friday, May 24, 2013

heavy rainfall, city drenched in water, coming up through the ground, sweeping in across the roads and pavements. i make a dash for the car, i'm wrapped up in my new raincoat. water droplets explode on my coat and face like a war zone, vision blurred, the car headlights from the street appear like light blasts. i fumble with my keys and slide inside. 
the highway is chaos, cars stacked up in a graveyard of metal, warped doors hanging of their hinges, broken window screens and waterlogged audis, bmws, hondas and fords. my radio is static with the occasional intermittent blast of hysteria, industry blues i guess. 
i slip in some appropriate music, 'we are the pigs' chimes out loud. a girl with a shaved head runs out of some dark foggy rain, she's holding a kitten. i open the door and let her jump in next to me, 'buckle up.'
i slam my foot down hard, no point in sticking around, my wipers working overtime, back and forth, hardly worth it as the water falls for a moment i imagine i'm underneath the water.
a truck moves past me, and a wave hits us on the side. it sends my car veering to the left, i let go of the wheel and let it come to a rest. the girl shrieks but keeps cool. it's a moment to shriek. the car slides sideways to a stop, we didn't hit anything and i head back onto the outer lane, moving free from the debris and car wrecks, heading north. the girl strokes the cat, the cat stretches out near the heater which blows out hot air. 
the rain starts to ease, my wipers work hard, i switch my headlights on and enjoy the road. in the distance up above, clear cloudless skies, a big full moon hanging in the sky. i pull out my moon powered zap gun, time for a recharge.

No comments: