Monday, August 15, 2011

after enlightenment, chop the wood carry the water.
that makes sense doesn't it?
i mean what are you going do once you crack it, you can't really spend the rest of your life thinking about it or the experience the meaning and the moment is lost. 
you really do have to go and chop the wood, and haul water, or in my case do my work.


my work is split into three areas, i assist four people with extreme mental health issues navigate their way through the complexity of modern life. these guys are adults and let me tell you they seem to know more about navigating their way through life than i do so the relationship i have with them is equal. we are just a bunch of guys trying to survive the system. i transport them around, cook and assist them with their social activities but when it comes down to essence i just create a safe environment. it's their thoughts and thinking that cause them to suffer and in many ways i have empathy for what else can one do but feel paranoia and depression in a world such as this. although i do think medication has assisted their quality of life, a simpler society would work effectively as well. anyway this is my job and i get paid for it but it doesn't feel like a job, i really see the four men as my friends and they are very intelligent and have their own personalities, often challenging me and making me think about my own limitations. we are equals. one thing i realised a long time ago is everyone is damaged in some ways, some have the ability to cover it up better than others.
the next work i do is my creative passions, music and writing, for which i am but a junior, still learning, i know very little about music, only what i like. there's no desire to understand it, i just use it as a platform for words and ideas.
then what's next is my own personal work, i guess one could define this as spiritual but in actual fact it's just about evolution and becoming a better person if you like, although 'better' makes it a relative process and the process is not really a relative one, it's not about competition or trying to accumulate something, it's about consciousness and then applying it. something that requires work for me. this area seems to spend a lot of time within spiritual and mental constructs but not physical ones, i swim once a week and walk my dog but i really need to do more physical work. so chop the wood and carry the water may be exactly what i require for the next few weeks, yoga and reviving the kung fu i learnt will be my wood and water.



No comments: